Sunday, April 21, 2013

7. Encounter a stranger, start a friendship

Wrapping an arm around herself, she took the quick steps towards the door. She was quickly regretting not grabbing a jacket before she left this morning, but that thought was secondary when her hand rested against the icy handle. And it didn't move.

"Shit." She whispered to herself, pressing down on the handle with more force. Her fingers curled around it with intensity but it barely moved - up and down by less than an inch. She looked up; the windows on each floor were all shut. "Of course," She stated with a frustrated sigh, "Because it's bloody cold outside." Locked and without the keys to open it, she turned around and leaned against the wall. Her eyes closed slowly and she breathed in.

"Please tell me you have keys!" Called a male voice.

She opened her eyes again; "Uhh-"

"Shit. Mine're locked in my car, and my spares are in the apartment."

"Well, I wouldn't be standing out here if I had them." She shrugged. But the movement was small. The cold was getting to her.

"Oh. Yeah. I didn't think about that..." He replied, rubbing his hand across the back of his neck. The awkward truth provoked painful silence.

"You got a phone number for the desk or something?" She asked, striking it up again.

"Well-"

She rolled her eyes. "You gotta be kidding..."

"I just moved here!"

"Yeah, me too."

"Well we-" Pause. "Wait, really?"

"No, I just thought it'd be a perfect thing to lie about." Her voice carried something of a sarcastic bite to it.

"What a coincidence..."

"Not the best one. Seems we're both pretty useless."

"My friends say that a lot, yeah." He laughed, stuffing his hands into his pockets and standing in front of the door. He studied it carefully, as if somehow it would change if she looked at it for long enough.

"What?"

"Oh, they're totally joking. But, yeah, it's a bit true I guess."

"Heh. I've heard that too." She laughed, closed and quiet. More for herself. "About me, I mean."

"You lose keys a lot, do ya?" He locked his fingers around the handle and rattled it. No good.

"Keys, no. This is a first." Awkward silence. "So do we just... Wait?"

With a frustrated sigh, he finally stepped away and chose to lean against the wall on the opposing side of the door. She turned her head to the side, glancing towards him as if he had answers.

"I guess so." He denoted, searching her expression for answers as well. "But hey, it's uhh- nice to meet you."

If nothing else, he sought the brighter side of the situation.
Word Count: 442

No comments:

Post a Comment